Sex reassignment surgery (SRS), also known as gender confirmation surgery or gender reassignment surgery, for male-to-female (MTF) individuals involves several procedures to create female genitalia. The specific procedures can vary depending on the individual’s goals, surgeon’s techniques, and available options. Here are some of the common components and potential results of MTF sex reassignment surgery:
- Vaginoplasty: This is the surgical creation of a neovagina. The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Removal of the penis and reshaping the existing tissue to form the vaginal canal.
- Repositioning and reshaping the glans (head) of the penis to create a clitoral hood.
- Placement of a skin graft or tissue flap to line the vaginal canal.
- Construction of the labia and other external genital structures.
The results of vaginoplasty can vary depending on factors such as surgical technique, healing, and individual anatomy. Some potential outcomes include:
- A functional neovagina that allows for sexual intercourse and the possibility of experiencing orgasm.
- External genitalia that resemble female genitalia in appearance, including labia majora and labia minora.
- Sensation in the newly created clitoral hood and surrounding areas, although the level of sensitivity can vary.
It’s important to note that individual experiences and satisfaction with the results of surgery can vary. The surgical outcomes can be influenced by factors such as the skill of the surgeon, preoperative tissue condition, postoperative care, and individual healing processes. Recovery and adjustment to the new genital anatomy may take time, and ongoing follow-up care with healthcare professionals is important.
It’s recommended to consult with experienced healthcare professionals who specialize in transgender healthcare to discuss the available surgical options, potential risks and benefits, and expected outcomes based on individual needs and goals. They can provide personalized guidance and help manage expectations regarding the results of sex reassignment surgery.