MTF feminization surgery, also known as male-to-female gender confirmation surgery, includes a combination of procedures designed to help individuals assigned male at birth transition to a more feminine appearance. These surgical procedures can include:
- Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS): FFS involves a series of procedures to feminize the facial features, such as brow contouring, rhinoplasty, cheek augmentation, jaw contouring, and lip augmentation.
- Breast Augmentation: Breast augmentation surgery involves the placement of breast implants to enhance the size and shape of the breasts, creating a more feminine chest contour.
- Orchiectomy: Orchiectomy is the surgical removal of the testicles, which helps reduce testosterone production and can aid in feminizing the body.
- Vaginoplasty: Vaginoplasty is a surgical procedure that constructs a neovagina. It involves creating a vaginal canal, labia, and clitoral hood using existing genital tissue or donor tissue.
- Tracheal Shave: Tracheal shave, also known as Adam’s apple reduction, is a procedure that minimizes the prominence of the Adam’s apple, creating a smoother, more feminine neck appearance.
- Voice Feminization Surgery: Voice feminization surgery is an option for individuals seeking to achieve a higher-pitched, more feminine voice. The procedure involves altering the vocal cords to achieve a more desired voice pitch.
It’s important to note that the specific combination of procedures will depend on individual needs, goals, and the recommendations of healthcare professionals. Each person’s transition journey is unique, and the decision to undergo feminization surgery should be made in consultation with qualified healthcare providers who specialize in transgender healthcare.
The cost of MTF feminization surgery can vary depending on factors such as the specific procedures performed, the surgeon’s expertise, geographic location, and other associated expenses. It’s recommended to consult with a reputable surgeon experienced in transgender healthcare to discuss your goals, undergo a thorough evaluation, and receive accurate information about the procedures, potential risks, recovery process, and cost involved.