Forehead feminization surgery (FFS) is a type of plastic surgery that can be used to make a transgender woman’s forehead appear more feminine. The surgery typically involves reducing the size of the forehead, rounding the forehead, and lowering the hairline.
The most common technique used for forehead feminization surgery is a procedure called a forehead reconstruction. During this procedure, the surgeon will make an incision across the top of the head from ear to ear. The surgeon will then remove a portion of the forehead bone and reshape it to create a more feminine appearance. The incision will then be closed with stitches.
Another technique that can be used for forehead feminization surgery is a procedure called forehead bossing shaving. During this procedure, the surgeon will shave down the bony ridge that runs across the forehead. This can help to create a more feminine appearance by making the forehead appear smaller and more rounded.
The cost of forehead feminization surgery can vary depending on the surgeon and the specific procedures that are performed. However, it is typically in the range of $5,000 to $10,000.
The recovery time for forehead feminization surgery is typically two to four weeks. During this time, you will need to wear a bandage on your forehead and avoid strenuous activity. You may also experience some bruising and swelling.
Forehead feminization surgery can be a very effective way to make a transgender woman’s forehead appear more feminine. However, it is important to note that it is not a cure for gender dysphoria. If you are considering forehead feminization surgery, it is important to talk to a qualified surgeon and to do your research to make sure that this is the right decision for you.
Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:
- The Trevor Project: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/: A national organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth
- Trans Lifeline: https://www.translifeline.org/: A 24/7 hotline that provides support to transgender people in crisis
- The World Professional Association for Transgender Health: https://www.wpath.org/: A professional organization that provides education and resources on transgender health
Forehead feminization surgery, also known as type 3 forehead contouring or forehead recontouring, is a surgical procedure designed to soften and feminize the appearance of the forehead and hairline in individuals assigned male at birth who are seeking a more feminine facial aesthetic.
During the procedure, various techniques may be employed depending on the individual’s specific needs and desired outcome. These techniques typically involve reducing the prominence of the brow ridge and reshaping the forehead to create a smoother, more rounded contour.
Common techniques used in forehead feminization surgery include:
- Brow bone reduction: This involves removing or contouring the prominent brow ridge (supraorbital rim) to create a flatter and more feminine forehead.
- Hairline advancement: In some cases, the hairline may be repositioned or lowered to create a more feminine hairline and reduce the appearance of a high forehead.
- Scalp advancement: This technique involves moving the scalp forward to decrease the vertical height of the forehead.
- Forehead contouring: The forehead may be reshaped using surgical techniques such as bone shaving, bone grafting, or forehead augmentation with implants or injectable fillers to achieve a smoother and more feminine contour.
Forehead feminization surgery is typically performed by experienced plastic surgeons who specialize in facial feminization procedures. It is essential to consult with a qualified surgeon who can assess your individual needs, discuss the available options, and determine the most appropriate surgical plan for you.
As with any surgical procedure, forehead feminization surgery carries risks and potential complications. It is crucial to have a thorough consultation with the surgeon, discuss your expectations, understand the potential risks and benefits, and ensure that you have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure.
It is recommended to seek a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon who has experience in forehead feminization surgery to discuss your specific goals, evaluate your facial features, and determine the best approach for achieving your desired results.