Several celebrities have come out as transgender and have undergone or are undergoing gender transition. Their visibility has played a significant role in increasing awareness and understanding of transgender issues in the public sphere. Here are a few internationally recognized celebrities who have publicly shared their gender transition journey:
- Caitlyn Jenner: Previously known as Bruce Jenner, Caitlyn is a former Olympic decathlon gold medalist. She announced her transition in a 2015 interview with Diane Sawyer, and later that year, she was featured on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine.
- Laverne Cox: An Emmy-nominated actress best known for her role in “Orange Is the New Black,” Laverne Cox has been a vocal advocate for transgender rights and visibility.
- Chaz Bono: The child of entertainers Sonny Bono and Cher, Chaz Bono underwent a female-to-male transition. He has been open about his journey and has become an advocate for transgender issues.
- Elliot Page: The Canadian actor, known for roles in “Juno,” “Inception,” and “The Umbrella Academy,” came out as transgender in December 2020.
- Jazz Jennings: Jazz is a reality TV star known for her show “I Am Jazz,” which chronicles her life as a transgender teen and young adult.
- Chelsea Manning: A former U.S. Army intelligence analyst, Chelsea Manning announced her transition and name change shortly after being sentenced in 2013.
- Andreja Pejić: Andreja is an Australian model who has worked both male and female fashion shows. She came out as a transgender woman in 2014.
- Lana and Lilly Wachowski: Both siblings, known for co-directing films such as “The Matrix” series, came out as transgender women, Lana in 2012 and Lilly in 2016.
These are just a few examples, and many other celebrities and public figures have shared their experiences with gender identity. The increased visibility of transgender celebrities has contributed to broader conversations and acceptance of transgender and gender non-conforming individuals in many parts of the world. However, it’s always crucial to approach individual stories with respect and understand that every transgender person’s experience is unique.